The farm was established in year February 2010 as a Commercial Farm unit of the University.
Presently the farm is operating on 200 hectares of land. Cultivated farm land for crops is 84.3 hectares (Maize 64.3 and Soya Beans 20). The poultry section occupies an average of 18 hectares of land comprising of both broilers (7,500/ month) and layers (12,500) birds.
The farm is also into fish farming with 9 functional earthen ponds which occupies about 0.3 hectares, with plans for expansion within the year. The ponds are stocked with 41,000 pieces of fish, mainly Clarias spp.
The cultural practices adopted on the farm include ploughing, harrowing, followed by the planting operation, using the planter as well as the spraying of herbicides and insecticides using the boom sprayer. Essentially pre-emergence herbicides are used, while the types of insecticides are determined by the nature and level of pest infestations.
Inorganic fertilizers i.e. NPK, Urea are commonly used, in addition to the spreading of poultry droppings as organic manure.
Regular spread of poultry droppings is being practiced as a measure to build up the organic matter content of soil, while the construction of contour bunds has helped in checking soil erosion.
Sub-soiling is also being contemplated as a measure to improve soil water retention capacity as well as soil water availability to crops.
The Campus Farm consists of the following Units:
- Broiler Unit with a rearing cycle of 7,500 broiler bird in 6 weeks.
- Layers Unit equipped with automated battery cage system of 12,500 birds capacity
- Feedmill Unit equipped to 2 Nos Units of millingmachines of a capacity of 10 tons of feed per day and a pelleting machine (for fish feed) with a capacity of 250 – 350 Kg/hr.
- Fishery Unit operating on 0.3 Hectare of land with 9 earthen ponds, containing about 41,000 pieces of Clariasspps. The unit is equipped with two Kilns (one operating on charcoal, the other with electricity) having a total capacity of 500 kg for fresh fish.
- The farm also rears snails, currently about 500 plus pieces are available and are sold to the university community dwellers on demand.
- Cold Room/Processing Unit equipped with broiler birds processing equipment of 1.5 tons per day capacity, a blast of 6 tons capacity for freezing the chicken and a cold room storage facility of 10 tons capacity for the frozen chicken.
- Egg room – this houses over 3000 crates of eggs for sale to our numerous customers
(b) Crop Unit
The 2015 planting season witnessed an increase in the farmland area cultivated – Maize (60 Hectares), Soybean 30 Hectares.
Construction in Progress
- 2 Nos Layers Pens (for 30,000 capacity automated Cages)